Smoke spread and flame rating for Plexiglass

Hello Radsafers!

I have been told by my hospital's fire safety

personnel that Plexiglass can release toxins when it

burns (I hadn't heard this before).  They indicated

that they would like us to buy other materials (e.g. -

Lexan sheets) for use as beta shields.  My associate

has phoned a few vendors requesting smoke spread and

flame rating values, but to no avail.  I have quickly

searched on the Internet under 'acrylic', but can't

find direct information either.

Could someone out there please help me find these

values?  As well, if anyone else has had this problem,

can you please let me know what materials/vendors you

have chosen as substitutes?

You may reply to me directly.

Sincerely,

Erin Niven

Ph.D. Candidate, McMaster University

Associate Radiation Safety Officer, Ottawa Hospital