Cancer deficiency clusters, "U" in Workers

John Jacobus (and others with interest in radiation deficiency),

John wrote, "only the non-nuclear workers had a statistically

significant increase [4sd]. I

guess you can conclude that RADIATION REDUCES THE RISK of lung cancer in

this

cohort.." John Jacobus 7/20/02  (emphasis and insert by HL)

Note 1. Total mortality (.76 of very comparable coworkers).

2. Location on coast  (background radiation <0.5 rem/yr, like much of

the USA.

so potentially applicable there)

Will I see you this Sat/Sun at Sheraton Colorado Springs to question

Cuttler and others on hormesis?

Will you support the ethics of placebo-controlled studies, like 1. radon

supplement (or sham) to 2-3 pCi/L (74-111Bq/m3) and 2. gamma of 1-5 rem

(cSv)/yr (or sham)where <0.5 pCi/L (most of USA coast)?. Measures should

be blood immune indicators, cancers incidence and longevity.

Howard Long (non-salaried epidemiologist)

"Jacobus, John (OD/ORS)" wrote:

  Howard,

  I am not sure what you think I wrote.

  > Yes, Jerry,

  > Such a study has been done on 27,872 nuclear shipyard workers - but

until

  > recently only reported as not showing expected increase in cancer.

  > John Cameron, one of 8 members of the technical advisory committee

of the

  > Nuclear Shipyard Workers Study reports, "The cancer death rate of

the

  NW>0.5  group [those receiving an extra 0.5 rem] was over 4 std.dev.

lower than

  the  NNW control group [non-nuclear workers of similar ages and jobs].

This

  good  news is not mentioned but the data are available in the final

report."

  > http://www.aps.org/units/fps/oct01/a5oct01.html

Howard Long