RE: Portable gamma spectroscopy

Yes, Exploranium's portals are great and their hand-held is nice too.  A handheld portable would definitely be your choice.  Many manufacturers have them.  The hand-helds are typically NaI detectors and have limited libraries and could mis-identify nuclides (e.g. I have seen them ID Ra-226 as a combination of Cs-137, Co-60 and other nuclides when Ra was not in the library.)  I would suggest that you get a spectroscopist experienced in field work to help with the selection.  Each brand has strengths and weaknesses that need to be selected for your particular needs.

Most manufacturer's will allow you to borrow units to evaluate them for your purposes.  As another option, you could rent units to see if you like them before purchasing.

If you are going to give advanced instruments to inexperienced staff, please be aware that they will get erroneous results at one time or another and will need support/interpretation by someone knowledgeable.

Good Luck,

Kevin Wright