2nd man held over bribery of Japanese nuclear watchdog official

2nd man held over bribery of Japanese nuclear watchdog official

Energy Dept. Ends Waste Disposal - Weldon Springs

Pataki Announces Safety Review of Indian Point Plant

2nd man held over bribery of Japanese nuclear watchdog official

TOKYO, Aug. 2 (Kyodo) - The former president of a waste management

firm was arrested Friday on suspicion of bribing a government

official to obtain information on the business needs of the nuclear

industry, police said.

Osamu Ishikura, 52, former owner of the company based in Tsukuba,

Ibaraki Prefecture, turned himself in to authorities two days after

Toshiyuki Takahashi, 45, a deputy division chief at the Nuclear and

Industrial Safety Agency, was arrested Wednesday.

Ishikura admitted to obtaining information from Takahashi, but denied

allegations that he had bribed Takahashi, saying he only lent money

to him.

Takahashi is suspected of receiving a total of 10.5 million yen in

bribes from August 1999 through January this year from Ishikura and

Yoshinori Okamoto, a 39-year-old former board member of a Shizuoka-

based computer software company. Okamoto was also arrested Wednesday.

Investigators allege Takahashi, a chief safety inspector of Japanese

nuclear power plants, began passing information to the pair in 1998

when he was working in a Diet science and technology office serving

lawmakers.

They said the information concerned business uses of and potential

clients for computerized designs of nuclear plant facilities,

desalination projects and other industrial projects.

The two allegedly used the information to start new businesses, but

they failed to take off, apparently due to a lack of technological

skills.

Takahashi, a former technician at the defunct Science and Technology

Agency, worked in the House of Representatives office from 1998 until

January last year, when he was transferred to the Nuclear and

Industrial Safety Agency, a unit of the Ministry of Economy, Trade

and Industry.

----------------------

Energy Dept. Ends Waste Disposal - Weldon Springs

WELDON SPRING, Mo. Aug 1 (AP) - After 16 years and $852 million, the

Energy Department said Wednesday it has completed the disposal of

hazardous debris left over from an old ordnance plant.

The Army manufactured explosives at the Weldon Spring plant 30 miles

west of St. Louis during World War II. From 1958 to 1966, the Atomic

Energy Commission used the site to produce uranium and thorium for

atomic weapons.

Officials determined that improper storage of radioactive and

chemical waste polluted the plant and a nearby quarry. Work that

begin in 1986 included the removal of 43 buildings and millions of

tons of soil, debris and waste.

The waste is now housed in a seven-story tall mound beneath layers of

rock, clay, soil and synthetic liners. ``It is a safe, well-designed,

well-constructed facility,'' Energy Department spokesman Walter Perry

said.

Over the years, area residents have said the site may be responsible

for cancers involving young children, but health officials found no

link.

The site will cost $850,000 to maintain. Officials have not yet

formed a plan to contain uranium-tainted groundwater that surfaces in

springs at a nearby wildlife area.

Tests show the uranium level is still within federal guidelines and

the water is not used by people for drinking, officials said.

---------------

Pataki Announces Safety Review of Indian Point Plant

New York Aug 2 (NY Times) A mid mounting criticism from Democrats,

environmentalists and Westchester County residents, Gov. George E.

Pataki yesterday announced a safety review of the Indian Point

nuclear plant and its evacuation plan.

For the first time, the governor left open the possibility of

shutting down the plant. When asked about that prospect, he said, "We

rule out no option," a turnabout for an administration that has

scolded Democrats who called for closing Indian Point and accused

them of jeopardizing the downstate power supply.

Mr. Pataki announced that he had hired James Lee Witt, the director

of the Federal Emergency Management Agency in the Clinton

administration, to review the safety of all New York communities near

nuclear power plants, starting with Indian Point. Mr. Witt will not

report his findings on Indian Point, on the Hudson in northern

Westchester County, until after the November election, in which the

governor will stand for a third term.

The governor said that whatever Mr. Witt concludes, "we will base our

decision on that report."

The state will pay Mr. Witt's consulting firm up to $800,554 for the

study's first phase, which will also look at the possible effect an

accident at the Millstone nuclear plant in Waterford, Conn., would

have on Fishers Island, off Long Island.

In naming a prominent member of a Democratic administration, the

governor voiced something less than confidence in his fellow

Republicans in the Bush administration. Early this year, he asked the

Nuclear Regulatory Commission and FEMA to review standards for

nuclear emergencies, but they rebuffed him, saying that the current

rules were fine.

"I wish that we could simply say that we can sit back" and wait for

the federal government to act, he said. "I don't think we can afford

that."

Critics, including the Democrats running against him, charged

yesterday that Mr. Pataki was belatedly voicing concerns that they

had long expressed, and only because he was worried that otherwise

the issue would hurt him in the election.

"The governor's action is a first good step," said Alex Matthiessen,

executive director of Riverkeeper, a group dedicated to preserving

the Hudson. "I'd say he's very late coming to this. I certainly think

he would not have acted if not for the growing public pressure to

shut down these reactors. Until now, he's said almost nothing on this

issue."

The Entergy Corporation, the giant power company that owns the two

Indian Point reactors, said it welcomed Mr. Witt's review. "He

brings credibility to this process and we welcome the opportunity to

work with him," said Jim Steets, a company spokesman. "We

see this as an opportunity to improve any part of the plans we can,

but also to say that we've done a good job preparing."

A groundswell of fear about Indian Point has been building in

Westchester County for years, and it accelerated after the Sept. 11

World Trade Center attack. Time and again, local residents and

officials have noted that one of the jetliners that crashed into the

trade center flew directly over Indian Point and could have slammed

into the reactors instead.

The two Democrats running for governor, Andrew M. Cuomo and H. Carl

McCall, have repeatedly called for the plant to be shut down

until the reactors and the region's evacuation plan can be proved

safe, and have scolded the governor for resisting. Riverkeeper has

been broadcasting radio ads assailing both the plant and the

governor.

Each year, the governor must decide whether to certify the evacuation

plan for each nuclear plant, usually a routine matter. This

year, local officials and environmentalists fiercely lobbied Mr.

Pataki to withhold certification, arguing that the evacuation plan

was a

farce and noting that no other nuclear plant in the country is in

such a densely populated area.

Mr. Pataki certified the plan in late January, though federal

officials said the plant would have continued to operate even if he

had refused. The governor also asked for a review of federal safety

standards, and asked the federal government to make potassium iodide

pills available to local residents. The pills offer some protection

against thyroid cancer from radiation exposure.

Mr. Witt's report is due on Dec. 30.

Sandy Perle

Director, Technical

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100  Extension 2306

Fax:(714) 668-3149

E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

Personal Website: http://sandy-travels.com/