Re: Government Is Slow to Offer Safety Plans

On 7 Aug 2002 at 14:29, William V Lipton wrote:

>  (The government, NOT the plant operator has the final decision regarding protective

> actions),

Bill ... thanks for an excellent summary.

The primary problem as I see it, is that there is rarely a reason to

evacuate a population (see TMI for example). However, what I have

heard numerous state officials say, when asked about the possibility

of a nuclear plant situation, is that they will order an immediate

evacuation (sometimes even past the 10 mile EPZ). The reason they

give .. "to be on the safe side." I also believe that they don't want

to be second guessed by anyone after the fact.

This topic was discussed after the Tokamura incident, where officials

evacuated individuals where there wasn't the remotest possibility of

a public exposure. My opinion was that any govt. official who orders

an evacuation, knowing full well that there is no exposure, but does

it to make the public "feel good" is simply negligent, and, in the

long run, may actually cause more injuries, due to moving large

populations and the hysteria surrounding the order. Unfortunately,

there were many on this list who said that it would be OK to do this,

knowing that there is no risk, no exposure, simply to make the public

feel that something was being done.

And,, we continue to shoot ourselves in the foot, promoting a risk

that is non-existent.

Sandy Perle

Director, Technical

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100  Extension 2306

Fax:(714) 668-3149

E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

Personal Website: http://sandy-travels.com/