Re: Radiological Stress Victims

In a message dated 08/07/2002 8:18:57 AM Pacific Daylight Time, Bud.Yard@state.tn.us writes:

As for the spider thing, if I were exposed (locked in) to a roomful of spiders without my approval and it stressed me out, I would indeed sue the heck out of somebody.

If I were forcibly locked in a room against my will, spiders or not, I'd be suing for damages from the crimes committed against me, kidnapping and assault and battery.  If, on the other hand, I'm a hydrophobic walking down a suburban street and someone's sprinklers come on, and get me wet and I freak out, the homeowner should not be liable for my irrational fears.  Their activity was perfectly legal, socially normal, and not, in fact, physically harmful, but for my irrational fear, for which I should be seeking treatment.

I view the "unwilling" exposure to radioactive materials in the same way.  We have reasonable, enforceable limits in place, and if a user of radioactive materials abides by those limits, and their radioactive effluents, in fact, cause no harm, but for one's own irrational fear, then, oh well.

Barbara L. Hamrick