Re: Radiological Stress Victims

Perhaps someone could answer my question: how long after the "stress" does post-traumatic stress disorder, to the extent that it interferes with one's life and activities, last?  These discussions remind me of the survivors of the Nazi concentration camps and American survivors of the POW camps, who went on to lead useful productive lives and who were minimally compensated, if at all.  I know some myself, but most of you must have heard of Elie Wiesel and Primo Levi, and there are a number of stories of such survivors at the Holocaust Museum in Washington.

The "stress" (and the term seems inadequate for what  these people suffered) doubtless affected their lives, but they forged ahead and led productive, creative lives.  One of my friends survived a Nazi POW camp and yes, it has affected him and left him with some permanent physical disability, but he doesn't complain of PTSD, he went on to become a prominent education administrator, and he is now retired and very active in his community.

Has anyone ever said to these "radiation stress" victims: "Get over it" ?

Ruth

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com