Re: Prussian Blue

I wouldn't take Prussian Blue on a bet!  In solution there would probably bne at least some dissociation to cynanide ion.  In acid solution, the Fe(II) would likely oxidize to Fe(III).

Bentonite is essentially clay, as in the kaolin suspension sold commercially as "Kaopectate."  It would bind a monovalent ion like Cs+ as well as any other ion in that group (K+, Na+, etc).  The ions adsorb on bentonite rather than chemically bonding to it; adsorption can be though of as a weak chemical bond -- weaker than a hydrogen bond but stronger than a van der Waals bond.

Two pieces of trivia:
(1)bentonite gets its name from Benton County, WA -- the location of Hanford,
(2) the adsorption isotherm is called the BET isotherm, for Brunauer-Emmett-Teller.  That is THE Edward Teller.  (Paul Emmett was one of my professors at  Johns Hopkins.)

Ruth
Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com