Re: Prussian Blue

First, thanks to all who responded so far. I read everything with great

interest. The core of my question, however, relates to the dissociation

properties of Pressian Blue in warm and acid media. Anyone who can point at

a relevant graph - like degree of dissociation as a function of pH at

different temperatures say in the interval 20 to 40 degrees C?

The comment by Ruth (below) is what I am most concerned about and want to

understand better. The dissociation can be expected to be logarithmic - so

what is meant by "safe"?.

One question is how much the pH variation may be in gastric juice - the pH

can go down to _about_ 1.0 but because pH also is a logarthimic function a

small numerical variation could potentially be important (or just whether

the individual had something to eat over the previous hours - or even

something acid to drink...). I am speculating - I don't know - but I also

want to emphasize the point in my first qustion.

>I wouldn't take Prussian Blue on a bet! In solution there would probably be

>at least some dissociation to cynanide ion. In acid solution, the Fe(II)

>would likely oxidize to Fe(III).

My personal comments only,

Bjorn Cedervall    bcradsafers@hotmail.com

http://www.geocities.com/bjorn_cedervall/