What to do ? ? ?

I joined this list within the last few months to try and learn more about

protecting myself--and more importantly my two boys ages (almost) 8 and

9--in case we were near a "dirty bomb" or someone dove a plane into San

Onofre and ruptured the containment vessel(s).

I realize that the chance of either of these two scenarios occuring is very

small, but these scenarios (and others) are in our minds. I guess I can

thank the news media for hyping up some of the dangers.

I understand the difference between controlled, scientific testing and

journalistic sensationalism, but I also believe at least to some degree,

"where there's smoke there's fire."

I cannot imagine that ALL of the material in "Killing our Own" by Wasseman

and Solomon is made up of whole cloth. (the text to this book is available

online at http://www.ratical.org/radiation/KillingOurOwn/ ) Isn't there

some background truth to this--even if it's exaggerated by a sensationalist

press?

Take for example, the Windscale nuclear disaster in 1957 in England.

Wasseman's book states "But several months later British officials conceded

to a United Nations conference at Geneva that nearly seven hundred curies

of cesium and strontium had been released, plus twenty thousand curies of

I-131....A study of health data in downwind European countries later

indicated a clear impact of the accident on infant-mortality rates."

I am especially interested in this as two girls, ages 11 and 9, were likely

playing outside (probably with horses) downwind of this disaster. The one

who was 9 at the time died from Oligodendroglioma in 1999, and both

exhibited thyroid problems. The one who was 11 is a good friend of mine. Is

this a mere coincidence? Yes, it can be brushed away as "anecdotal." When

does "anecdotal" become real, especially when controlled experiments are

unethical?

I realize that our life style must come with some risks, but it's the

silent ones that don't give you any warning that are the most scary.

 From personal observation, there are a lot of people who do over-react to

these risks.

I drove to Waterton/Glacier Park (and beyond) a few weeks ago, and when I

showed a friend of mine (a native of Montana) the route I was taking (I-15

to I-90) he said, "I wouldn't drive that route without a Geiger counter."

So I went and got an Aware RM-70 unit and connected it to my HP 100LX palm

top and took a constant log of the radiation exposure on essentially the

entire trip.

Although the device I purchased is sensitive to alpha, beta, and gamma, it

was installed inside the vehicle (and inside the center console or glove

compartment as well) which provided complete shielding to alpha (one would

assume) as well as probably substantial shielding for beta. The normal

background radiation ran between 9-12 µR/hour for the entire trip. The

highest peak was about 24 µR/hour recorded at the lip of the Berkeley Pit

abandoned Anaconda Copper mine in the city of Butte.

With this, I convinced myself that the problem might be perceived to be

worse than it is (24µR/hr is not frightening to me). It's good to know,

however, that at least this route, although perceived risky by a friend,

seemed safe, at least at this time.

To state the subject of this message in another way, where is the line

between prudence and paranoia?

At this point I have a stockpile of KI tablets (I'm not planning on taking

them any time soon), fiber dust masks (probably useless, but if wet MIGHT

plate out heavier alpha particles to avoid them getting into your lungs and

decaying in there for a while), and two CDV-700 Geiger counters plus the

Aware unit.

Since we live in earthquake country, we keep about a month's supply of food

and water around our house.

Any other suggestions?

Cheers,

Richard