Generalised derived Limits in the USA

Dear All

I'm hoping some of our American friends can help me.

In the UK the National Radiological Protection Board (NRPB) have published over the years Generalised Derived Limts (GDL) for a number of important radionuclides.  GDLs are convenient reference levels against which the results of environmental monitoring can be compared and are based on an effective dose limit of 1 mSv/year.  They have been calculated using standardised and cautious assumptions based on habit data of a hypothetically exposed group i.e. the critical group.  They are directly measurable quantities eg the GDL for Cs-137 in soil is 1000 Bq/kg or 2000 Bq/kg for cattle meat.  NRPB recommend that if the results of an analysis is greater than 10% of the GDL then further investigation of the exposure pathways is required.

I have been trying to find out if a similar system is used in the States (or indeed anywhere else) by searching the web but I have been unsuccessfull.  I would be greatfull if anyone could guide me to some usefull sources.

If you're interested in the NRPB publications on GDLs....

Revised Generalised Derived Limits for radioisotopes of strontium, ruthenium, iodine, caesium, plutonium, americium, curium

Documents of the NRPB Vol9 No1 1998

Some of their more recent publications can be downloaded from:

www.nrpb.org

Thanks

Keith

Keith McKay

Senior Chemist

Radioactivity Section

Glasgow Scientific Services

Environmental Protection Services

Glasgow City Council

64 Everard Drive

Springburn

Glasgow G21 1XG

Scotland

Disclaimer:

This message is intended only for use of the addressee. If this message

was sent to you in error, please notify the sender and delete this message.

Glasgow City Council cannot accept responsibility for viruses, so please

scan attachments. Views expressed in this message do not necessarily reflect

those of the Council who will not necessarily be bound by its contents.