RE: Truck carrying 'low-level' radioactive tools crashes

According to the news report, Keith Smith was evacuated from his relative's home on Old Bay Street which, from a Yahoo map of Peekskill, NY, is about 1000 m from Route 9 and the Main Street overpass where the accident took place.

The accident happened at 11:14 AM on Tues. and the scene was cleared by 1:30 PM the same day.

It's clear the article was used to promote an agenda other than a report about the accident:

	But critics of Entergy's plant said yesterday's incident

	shows that transporting radioactive materials is

	inherently dangerous.

	They said the accident was especially worrisome in

	light of a proposed plan to transport hundreds of tons

	of nuclear waste from Indian Point [two miles away]

	to a dump site at Yucca Mountain in Nevada

	beginning in 2010.

	"The last thing we need is radioactive material - high

	level or low level - being transported in our

	neighborhoods," said Marilyn Elie, head of Westchester

	Citizens' Awareness Network.

	"The industry said they could transport more than

	1,000 shipments of high-level radioactive waste safely,

	and here they can't transport even one shipment of

	low-level radioactive tools," she said. "What is it going

	to take before people understand we have to close this

	plant down?"

The fallacies in Marilyn Elie's arguments are left as an exercise for the reader.

Rick Strickert

Austin, TX