Re: Relevance of experts

> The theme seems to  be that the public should blindly

> follow the self-proclaimed "experts;"  who know the truth, etc.

That's not the case at all. The theme is that the opinion of experts, who

happen to actually know something about what is hazardous and what is not,

has become irrelevant in the public discourse, and it should not be so. The

comments about the acceptance of electricity and the earth-centered solar

system were *excellent* analogies to current thinking about the hazards of

radiation. There are groups with vested interests in maintaining the status

quo of irrational fearmongering (but I certainly do not include the ICRP,

NCRP, etc. here) among politicians, the media, and the public, and there are

those who are willing to speak up about what is wrong.

I use the analogy of electricity constantly with colleagues and members of

the public. Can electricity kill you? You bet, it happens every year. But if

properly managed and controlled by trained experts, it is a helpful

resource. Is my electrician an elitist, condescending snob because she tells

me to stay away from the control panel while she works? Nope, she's the

expert, she knows what she can touch and what she should not, and her advice

had better be taken. But if she says "coast is clear, you can safely use

that circuit now", I trust that.

> Remember, Noah's Ark was designed by amateurs.

Well, I'd love to engage that with a counterpoint, but that would be pure

theology and waaay off topic....;-)

Mike

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP

Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Vanderbilt University

1161 21st Avenue South

Nashville, TN 37232-2675

Phone (615) 343-0068