From: Bjorn Cedervall [mailto:bcradsafers@HOTMAIL.COM]

Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2002 11:48 PM

To: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Subject: Consequence neutrality

This is about the problem with sensational mass media - I just learned a new

concept that some journalists stick to: "consequence neutrality". The

relation to unnecessary scary radiation head lines will be obvious.

My lesson began last week - we had some headlines saying that "babies can

get cancer" from some chemical in the nipple of feeding bottles. I forwarded

this to a professor in toxicology and wrote "today's cancer scare" in the

subject line. I have no idea where any risk numbers are -it is not the point

here - but this professor responded by referring to another alarm that we

had three years ago - some carcinogen had been detected at very low levels

in the cleaning wipes (I am uncertain about the English term here) for

babies - some cloth material I believe. Again the headlines read "Your baby

can get cancer".

The professor had done the toxicology/carcinogenesis calculations and came

down to that if you ate 15 000 of these wipes you would be at some hygenic

standard/limit - assuming a straight line down to the origin I guess (lets

not discuss that part again!).

Next I discussed this with a journalist who is communicating research in

medicine and science. She explained that many of her collegues refer to

their "consequence neutrality" (and she said - "I don't share this view at

all"). This means that these journalists (or other writers in sensational

media etc) insist on the right of remaining "neutral" regardless of the

potential size (consequence) of the problem - chemical, radiation,

whatever,.... Not surprisingly these mass media people understand what they

are doing using the word "can" (cause this or that). Where is the ethics in

all this? It is easy for most Radsafers to see shat kinds of comments one

may make regarding priorites with limited resources etc.

A couple of bottom line questions must be: Is there any way of reaching the

journalist schools? Writing in their own journals (!) or reach this at its

root by some other means? The fear causing headlines seem to be there for

ever with the waste of resources as a consequence (there is that word

again...).

Take the EMF controversy as a parallel to these examples relating to

chemical substances. Either the risk is non-existant or there is a risk but

so low that it cannot even be detected. Headlines: "Magnetic fields can

cause cancer" (vacuum cleaners, electric shavers,...the list is endless to

exploit for selling newspapers).

My personal reflections only,

Bjorn Cedervall    bcradsafers@hotmail.com

http://www.geocities.com/bjorn_cedervall/