RE: perception and reality--Do Something...

-----Original Message-----

From: owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

[mailto:owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu]On Behalf Of Holcomb, Robert

(HOLCOMRD)

Sent: Thursday, August 15, 2002 10:38 AM

To: 'radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu'

Subject: RE: perception and reality--Do Something...

Join your local county HazMat/Fire Dept. as a volunteer, and be the Rad

Safety Consultant.  You will probably be much appreciated, and will make a

real difference if a radiological emergency ever occurs.  It's where the

rubber meets the road.

Excellent idea.  I joined my local hazmat team about 4 yrs. ago and local

volunteer fire dept about 2.5 yr. ago.  These teams have a lot of very

inteligent and educated people, but I know they all feel a lot beeter about

rad. issues since I joined them.  I'm not saying that I've been a great

teacher or anything, I think they just feel better having someone around

that deals with rad. everyday.  Same as when I'm working a fire, I feel

better having some of the career firefighters around who serve on the

volunteer dept.

Joey Michael