RE: Nuclear Regulators: Attack Risk Low

On 15 Aug 2002 at 23:14, Ted Rockwell wrote:

> I wish someone would show me why I'm wrong about this.

Ted,

While I agree that many of the statements from regulators imply some

degree of "doom", I don't read into this specific statement from the

NRC the implications that you have derived. In that you refer to

other statements when added to the NRC statement implying  "tens of

thousands of deaths" and "vast areas of land rendered

uninhabitable for centuries" .. I just didn't come away with that

conclusion. The NRC simply is taking a position that the risk of an

airliner hitting a containment structure is low, and, they never

anticipated an accident involving a large 757, 767, 777 or 747. By

stating that I don't jump to the death and destruction that you have

concluded.

I do agree with you that there is positive data out there, and, the

regulators should state the positives, and not to continually focus

on some perceived "lack of information", leaving the public with an

uneasy feeling about their safety. I just don't agree that they have

stated an "end of the world" scenario.

Regards,

Sandy Perle

Director, Technical

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Tel: (714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100  Extension 2306

Fax: (714) 668-3149

E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

Personal Website: http://sandy-travels.com/