RE: Nuclear Regulators: Attack Risk Low

Ted,

Just when I was starting to feel comfortable, you have to ask THIS! I hope

someone shows you why you're wrong. I've been told "don't worry." Here are

some thoughts to trigger what would help me (and hopefully you) feel even

better about this.

What would help me is an explanation of the amount of radioactivity in a

"typical" reactor. The methods of dispersion, the typical exposure levels

"downwind." All under different scenarios. You all know this, I'm sure, but

heck, laying it out simply (yes, I know you can over simplify) would be

very helpful.

We're NOT talking mushroom cloud here, are we? One would assume that the

safety mechanisms, even if substantially damaged would not produce a

critical mass for fission, right? Wrong?

Approximate order of magnitude numbers are fine. I am VERY tired of

rhetoric. Show me the numbers (and work your proofs out, I don't want

numbers pulled from the air). Rounding to one significant digit is

fine...let's get the exponents right. Traditional or SI units accepted.

I've already looked a bit into TMI (where the vessel wasn't ruptured,

right?) Chernobyl (where it was), and Windscale (where it effectively was).

Yes, I realize that Chernobyl and Windscale are earlier types of reactors

and not equivalent. Radiation was released in all three cases.  Few died.

All of these were thermal runaway, but none were the instantaneous fission

products we saw over Hiroshima and Nagasaki and in the Pacific, Nevada, New

Mexico, and Alaska, right?

So since Barbara (not Boxer) and I are both in California, I offer San

Onofre and/or Diablo Canyon as possible models for this study. These are

also useful as there are population centers downwind, especially from San

Onofre. The prevailing winds are from the Pacific inland, no? Diablo Canyon

is more isolated--especially by an err, canyon (surprise)! You can't see it

from most parts of Montana de oro State Park, just to the north. Let's

concentrate on airborne effects. Yes, I realize that these might

contaminate the Pacific Ocean, too, but I don't think that causes the

immediate damage speculated in the quote. Save the work.

So, why is the NRC (the arm of the government originally founded, I think,

to promote the safe use of nuclear energy) coming out with scare stories if

they're not true?

If this is true, maybe I should have bought some CDV-715's!

By the way, if you want to see some scary rhetoric (not related directly to

the atom), go to http://www.globalresearch.ca/ NOTE: I am not supporting

the site. I am studying it. BIG difference.

Thanks!

Richard