Question: EMF Researcher Made Up Data, ORI Says (Science, 2 July, 1999)

To my surprise there was no response to my question about three weeks ago

regarding the EMF affair in 1999. As I interpret the case:

The story goes back to 1992-93 when two papers by R. Liburdy were published.

These "showed" that EMFs increase the flow of calcium through the membranes

of lymphocytes - and in turn switching genes on and off and thereby perhaps

played a role in cell division.

A panel of four lab scientists investigated the case in 1995 and stated:

"These actions fall within the definition of scientific misconduct". This

was based on "Liburdy's claims that EMF causes cellular effects related to

calcium signaling (in three figures in the two articles in FEBS Letters &

Ann. NY Acad. Sci. respectively) are not supported by the primary data." The

panel had concluded that Liburdy "deliberately created 'artificial

data'...in order to mislead the reader." The Federal (U.S.) Office of

Research Integrity (ORI) made a formal review starting in 1997. The ORI

came, I understand, to a similar conclusion as the first panel group.

OK - so this is the approximate story - some 5-6 newspaper articles can be

found in the www.junkscience.com search system and a few comments in the

Radsafers archives (July-August 1999).

Now, my question is: Is there any formal statement from the Lawrence

Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL) regarding the case? Something that can

be found on a website or elsewhere. What is the overall formal status?

Two of the critical graphs in FEBS were formally retracted in Vol. 478

(2000:304). In this retraction Liburdy writes "I admit no wrongdoing".

I haven't seen a parallel for Ann. NY Acad. Sci.

If any of the above is incorrect or should be modified - please comment.

Bjorn Cedervall    bcradsafers@hotmail.com