Re: Question: EMF Researcher Made Up Data, ORI Says (Science, 2 July, 1999)

Bjorn,

As I interpret the case--and this is something that I've preliminarily

researched on the Web--this case set back the legitimate studies by a decade.

There is a list member here, John Moulder, who is very supportive of the

electrical industry status quo and I believe he is not convinced by any of

the current research.

My one qualm with his writings is that he seems to want 100% proof of the

dangers while complaining (rightfully so) that the opponents want 100%

proof of the safety. We can't have it both ways.

Recent studies apparently have formalized the threshold (see: it's NOT an

LNT model) in the 2-4mG region for magnetic fields.

One place which admits to be biased but offers primary sources for

reference is http://www.powerlinefacts.com

I have found this information useful in helping to slow down some (err

rather unwanted) new high-end residential development under some 330kV

power lines.

NOTE: I am not citing the power line facts Web site as a primary source,

I'm only suggesting that they have done a good job of collecting at least

some papers that are primary sources that reinforce their points.

This is a very controversial issue and it is too bad that someone cheated

on an early study. The truth (whatever that really is) will eventually come

out...after all, it's not ionizing radiation (wry tongue-in-cheek comment

based on recent threads on this list).

Personally, I won't live anywhere near a HV power line--it messes with my

shortwave radio reception...forget the health effects <big grin>.

Cheers,

Richard