Re: Question: EMF Researcher Made Up Data, ORI Says (Science,2 July, 1999)

Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 19:52:28 -0600

From: "Fritz A. Seiler" <faseiler@NMIA.COM>

Subject: Re: Question: EMF Researcher Made Up Data, ORI Says (Science,2

July,  1999)

Hi All,

May I just point out that everyone who went through Physics

101 knows that EMF = ElectroMotive Force (!!!!)     :-))

Why do some people insist on using some definitions, units,

and acronyms that have long since been given in another field

and in another context?  For EMF it is even the same field!!

Have a nice week,

Fritz

Fritz,

I have to disagree a bit.  The fact that the acronym "EMF" was chosen by

early researchers to stand for "electromagnetic field" is a clear indication

that the originator(s) and early propagators of this terminology had no

familiarity with the field of physics. The "EMF" controversy belongs to

epidemiology, not physics.  I have long suspected that much of the

irritation that many physicists feel with respect to this line of research

has to do with this choice of acronym.

Clayton J. Bradt, CHP

Principal Radiophysicist

NYS Dept. of Labor