computer codes in safety

> > > Warning flags always go up for me when I read that someone "ran the

numbers

> > > through a ... program."  The 3 key questions are:

> > > 1.  How well is the program validated?

> > > 2.  Is the input correct for the program requirements (gigo)?

> > > 3.  If this person is "a very knowledgeable colleague," why did he

blindly

> > > accept results that are so unusual?

Bill not only hit the nail on the head, he flattened it. These are common

problems in use of software, particularly for safety matters. In this case,

all three issues are of concern to me. The program may be fine, I'm not

familiar with it. But the input certainly was not representative of an

appropriate model for I-131 NaI in a patient with hyperthroidism, and even a

cursory review of the output should have caught that.

An excellent review of the topic of the use of computer codes was given by

Tom Labone at a PEP session in 1991 (and repeated a few times, I think),

with a very nice handout that I still use at times. The talk was

particularly focussed on some internal dose codes available at that time,

but the principles he mentioned were excellent for appropriate use of

computer codes in any safety-related situation.

Mike

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP

Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Vanderbilt University

1161 21st Avenue South

Nashville, TN 37232-2675

Phone (615) 343-0068