"EMF" & brain tumors

>To me the major reason not to use "EMF" is that it implies that all

>electromagnetic fields and non-ionizign radiation is the same -- for

>example, you see "EMF" used to describe static fields, powerline fields,

>mobile phone RF radiation and radar.

>In both scientific and public discourse, you should call it by a precise

>descriptor -- it is a "static magnetic field", a "power-frequency electric

>field", " 900 MHz radio-frequency radiation", etc.

-----

It is good that this point has been brought up - I agree to a large extent

even though I used the abbreviation EMF myself. The more precise descriptor

- the better. As an understatement I think about this term as it is used in

the public debate (=total circus & confusion): Anything magnetic,

electromagnetic, voltage, electrical field, current and derived units

relating to areas, volume or mass - even "allergies to electricity" etc (

http://www.feb.se/index_int.htm ) fall into the "EMF" category. In the

general media all this becomes EMF or just "radiation". When I write "EMF"

it is mainly to give something brief saying "it is this stir again".

When I and three other scientists recently (July 18) wrote an article in the

morning newspaper Dagens Nyheter - we spent a few sentences on discussing

the sloppy use of "radiation" in the context - we here simplified the issue

by excluding gamma- and X-ray irradiation from the "radiations" but "EMF" is

still undefined in many senses. What we wrote was just that depending on

"energy content" these phenomena can (cannot) cause certain effects:

http://www.dn.se/DNet/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=572&a=36582&previousRenderType=1

Headline (which we didn't write): "Mobile phones are not dangerous"

I called the man at the newspaper the next day and wanted a foot note

stating that what we really said was that there is unjustified fear of

mobile phones. The response I got was that "it is a semantic question" and

that he had to make a headline with only two words. It was particularly

crazy as we, in the article, discuss the impossibility of proving non-risks.

Anyway - we got a lot of positive responses to this article. Two of the

three objections came from people who seem to belong to the "hyper

electrosensitive" category and the third one was one of the professors who

was out in the media yesterday (see below). He misquoted us by saying that

we had written that "you cannot prove a risk" (this was in an interview for

a local newspaper in northern Sweden).

---

We had a scary day in Sweden yesterday with many press releases on how

mobile phones are supposed to cause brain tumors (recent article in European

Journal of Cancer Prevention). Here are a few links for those who can grasp

Swedish (take something cold to drink before you start reading):

Headline - "The mobile phone can give you a brain tumor":

http://www.expressen.se/article.asp?id=119592

The texts says that you have a two and a half times higher risk of getting a

tumor on the temporal globe (! - it should be lobe of course) relating to

side you use when you use your mobile phone. The story is only about NMT

phones and the researchers say that it will take 10-15 years before they

know about GSM phones. One of the researchers want the exposure limit to be

lowered to 0.02 W/kg.

Then a famous sports commentator - this time as an epidemiology expert:

http://www.expressen.se/article.asp?id=119591

The text under his picture says "it began to heat up in the (my) ear

areas/tract". Headline: "It is not surprising". He says that he tries to use

the mobile phone as little as possible.

Someone told me that the guy who wrote the article is a sports journalist -

I really don't know - I bought three copies of the newspaper during the last

30 years (two of these times because I wrote in it myself - a good way to

reach a particular niche of the population).

The next newspaper is Aftonbladet - headline = "Mobile phoning increases the

risk for brain tumors".

Briefly the text spells fear:

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyheter/story/0,2789,195943,00.html

Then Metro - see top of page two in the pdf file:

http://www.metro.se/content/acrobat/stockholm/SESTO_20020821_A_Metro.pdf

The head line says: "Mobile phones increase the risk for tumors of the

brain"

These three papers (the first two are only focusing on emotional topics)

cover a large part of our population. The two major morning newspapers in

Sweden both had polls (Internet questions) essentially asking whether people

are afraid of using their mobile phones:

1. Dagens Nyheter - 63 % are believe that using a mobile phone damages your

health:

http://www.dn.se/DNet/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=597&a=46912

Headline: "Mobile phone increases the risk for cancer".

Dagens Nyheter (DN, liberal) is probably the number one morning paper from

the political impact aspect.

2. Svenska Dagbladet (SvD, conservative) - 54 % are not afraid of using

their mobile phones.

http://www.svd.se/dynamiskt/inrikes/did_2577391.asp

Headline: "Quarrel between regarding a study of risks with mobile phones".

Some of the quotation of the professor at the Karolinska Institute is wrong

(I spoke with him yesterday) and besides - he is a professor in molecular

toxicology - not in biology.

The major newspaper in the Gothenburg area (Swedish west coast) is

Göteborgsposten (GP) - here is their contribution yesterday:

http://www2.gp.se/gp/jsp/Crosslink.jsp?p=gp&d=119&a=98063

Headline next to brain tumor patient: "The mobile phone manufacturers should

inform about the risks". It says that the brain tumor patient  is convinced

that his 10 000 mobile phone calls gave him his tumor.

For those of you following the "EMF" issue - I am sure that you recognize

both professors mentioned in the other articles.

My personal reflections only,

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com

http://www.geocities.com/bjorn_cedervall/