Enough is enough

I'll probably regret making this statement on RADSAFE, but I've noticed

there are several folks on this list that make me really ill.  I've only

been re-subscribed to RADSAFE for a short period of time compared to some,

but I'm noticing that there are several folks on this list who seem to think

smearing every other rad health professional is the name of the game--hence

the reduction in participants (I noticed at least one more just left

today--courtesy of a little unnecessary rudeness, no doubt, that came from

asking a question that was perfectly relevant and of interest to

some--myself included).  Seriously, this is a very different culture than

the RADSAFE I knew 2-3 years ago when I was a student (thank goodness it

wasn't like this then---at that time, people with nasty things to say to

someone at least had the integrity to take it off-line)--can anyone tell me

what has happened (privately, if you don't mind)?  I do realize that

everyone has an opinion (and a right to express it), but I think it is

obvious that not only HPs subscribe to RADSAFE (we also have anti-nukes,

environmentalists, general public folk, etc.) who I'm sure are not amused by

our conduct (I can just imagine the anti-nukes and environmentalists must be

quite amused to watch us "radiation professionals" bicker like little

children in a sandbox---splitting hairs over really stupid arguments that in

and of themselves often have no significant relevance to radiation

protection whatsoever---at this point, all anti-nukes really need to do when

things start to get quiet is occasionally throw in a little piece of

controversial fodder and let the free-for-all games begin).  If we want to

be treated as being the educated professionals we are (and yes, those of us

in radiation protection have an education (formal and/or through experience)

and deserve to be treated as educated people---no matter who you are, what

initials you have behind your name, the number of years you've been working

in the radiation industry; you are fallible and subject to error just like

the rest of us (if you feel otherwise, please speak up so the rest of us can

be aware of it)---and as such, I would think that respect and dignity among

professional peers would be an expectation that isn't unreasonable), we

really need to shape up and act the part, folks.

Greg Gibbons