Rermarks: Re" SOURCE DESTROYED ACCIDENTALLY.AT PARIS AIRPORT "/ Re:Serbian Fuel???

Greetings,

Here are my weekly remarks on/to what I read on

the radsafe.

1. "August 22, 2002

SOURCE DESTROYED ACCIDENTALLYDURING TRANSFER AT

PARIS AIRPORT

A medium-size iodine-131 source was dropped from

transfer dolly and crushed in Roissy Charles de

Gaulle airport"

Obviously, nobody would worry about when in the

same time and in the same airport somebody was

flying out after a thyroid Rad. therapy procedure

and was using a restroom and(excuse my French)

spill the floor around the toilet with

millicuries

of I-131....

Who cares about that?

Obviously, just me.

2. Serbian Fuel?

What is so interesting in this topic?

Is the fact it is Serbian the country which

became so notorious famous after the Yugoslavia’s

break up war?

This subject been "discussed on the list for so

long that I started wondering....I are you guys

sure that...

a) Is it really, a Serbian Fuel?

I mean, does the Serbia really, has this ability

to produce a weapon grade uranium?

If so,

Then

It was a very technologically sophisticated

country and the world got lucky again and

destroyed "a secret nuclear program" like it was

done

57 years ago when somebody else in the same

neighborhood had gotten in the hands a weapon

grade uranium.

b) Or the fuel just went to where it came from?

Emil.

Subject: " SOURCE DESTROYED ACCIDENTALLY... AT

PARIS AIRPORT " [FW]

August 22, 2002

SOURCE DESTROYED ACCIDENTALLYDURING TRANSFER AT

PARIS AIRPORT

A medium-size iodine-131 source was dropped from

transfer dolly and crushed in Roissy Charles de

Gaulle airport

near Paris early this week, dispersing

radioactive powder in a

transit area between two terminals, French

authorities said Aug. 20.

Officials at regulatory agency DGSNR and the

Institute of

Radiological Protection and Nuclear Safety (IRSN)

said the

Aug. 17 incident was "highly unusual" because the

iodine

package had been "completely destroyed."

Patrick Gourmelon, head of IRSN's dosimetry and

health

protection department, said the 5-gigabecquerel

source (about

100 millicuries) would have caused only "very low

doses,"

below the 1 milliSievert limit for public

exposure, because the

volatile iodine was dispersed over a wide area.

But Jean-Luc

Pasquier, head of IRSN's Le Vesinet site (the

former rad

protection office OPRI), said the incident is

further demonstration

that "there's a dysfunction in transfer of

radioactive

materials at Roissy." IRSN issued a report on the

incident late

Aug. 20 following an inspection at the airport

Aug. 19(www.irsn.org).

http://finance.yahoo.com