RE: Letters to the editor are reviewed and refereed

Dr. Cameron,

My comment refers to the fact that letters are not peer reviewed as I

imagine original articles are.  Thus, I question the scientific validity or

"weight" of a letter.  I would imagine that a letter questioning a posted

article would be circulated among the authors of the posted article for

further comments.  Of course, they have the right to refuse to comment.

However, you did not mention to the list that Dr. Doll had expressed his

dissent with your revelation.  Would you care to tell us (or me privately)

why?

I am not familiar with epidemiological studies, but I again question if the

36% difference in non-cancer deaths is radiation-related.  Were factors like

smoking taken into account?  Again, the study is about an occupational title

"radiolographer," but there is not dosimetry information.  I consider that

to be a significant item to correlate with cancer and non-cancer deaths.  I

also believe that difference is only in one data range.  How come this

profound difference does not appear in other year groupings?

The reason I wrote my original response was to let Zack and others know that

the data you reviewed was not your own work.  My limited readings in

epidemiology lead me to believe that there is a lot behind the numbers

published.  However, you choose to read one set of values, and carry it

beyond the scope of its content.

Despite what you say, I think you do not like to be critized or questioned.

And as you say you do not have to be an expert in a field to submit a letter

to the editor.  Dr. Shockley won the Nobel Prize in physics, but I think a

number of scientists were embaressed by his position on race and

intelligence.  I know the limits of my knowledge, but an willing to learn

more if I have the right teachers.  As I have said, you have sent your

letter to me several times.  Yet, you do not answer my questions.