We are They, They are Us - Re: Tolerance in all Things

RADSTERS,

Let's all keep in mind that the field of health physics crosses many

disciplines and fields of application.  We are not all cerfified HPs,

not all highly educated in all forms of radiation protection.  If you

want to educate RSOs or technical staff through this list, don't be so

critical of everyone about everything.  Those who work in environmental

protection are not necessarily familiar with medical HP work, and some

are not so sure about what those guys do under the reactor domes.  One

of the things this list provides is the ability for us to learn about

other fields that health physics is involved with.

Of course, the best way to be exposed to all kinds of health physics

challanges is to go to work for a State program!  Never a dull moment.

We work with all types of radioactivity, not just Atomic Energy Act

materials.

A little patience on both sides, please.  Also, I would ask that some of

the more ah, senior members of the group take the time to put things in

historical perspective when appropriate.  Sometimes knowing who did what

to who when gives us an understanding of why things are at a particular

moment in time.

So, maybe there is no big deal about the cylinders on the highway (I

have also spent my time in Paducah and Ports), but to others, they may

just not know.

PLEASE take discussions off-list when things start getting into minutia

or professional discourse that is not of interest to most people.

I am on my laptop today and don't have spell check available, so don't

reply to the list if I have typos!

Phil Egidi

Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment

phil.egidi@state.co.us

www.tenorm.com

pegidi@tenorm.com

(yes- the tenorm page lives on, altough I have not been updating it much

recently due to having a couple of kids in the house).

>>> "Cypret,Orville" <cypretow@PGDP.USEC.COM> 08/27/02 12:07 PM >>>

I saw nothing abrasive or rude in Ruth's reply.  Personally, I was

surprised

at the original question Kurt asked, though.  But then, I work at a

place

where there's a lot of UF6 and shipments and receipts are our bread and

butter.

I've decided to change my RADSAFE subscription to the digest, though.

This

is not being done because of any of Ruth's comments (which I completely

agreed with).  Rather, it's because of the content and tone of a few of

the

replies it generated.

There's nothing I've written that anyone ought to want to argue with.

But,

if any wants to anyway, do it privately.  Send email to me directly and

leave RADSAFE out of it.

Orville Cypret, PE, CHP

Principal Health Physicist

United States Enrichment Corporation

Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant, MS-2121

P.O. Box 1410

5600 Hobbs Road

Paducah, KY   42002-1410

Tel 270-441-6173

Fax 270 441-6586

radsafe" (no quote marks) in the body of the e-mail, with no subject

line.