Re: Thanks, Ruth (was RE: UF6)

In a message dated 08/27/2002 1:25:39 PM Pacific Daylight Time, lists@richardhess.com writes:

It was a mistake that wasn't repeated...and probably the closest the media
in the U.S. ever came to hurting people (other than a couple of Jerry
Springer or similar shock-shows where audience members were hurt or
killed--I don't think that counts).

Ooo!  I know this is totally off the topics normally associated with Radsafe, but wasn't there also a Jenny Jones show that resulted in the murder of a gentleman who had confessed his love for another man on the show?

And, to bring this back around to the more mundane, isn't the media partially responsible for escalating public fear with respect to dirty bombs and even the most benign uses of radioactive materials?  I mean, I think that there is a legitimate question as to how much stress and anxiety is induced in the public due solely to irresponsible reporting, and not just on matters of radioactivity, but also the West Nile Virus, and the proportions of the Anthrax threat.

Barbara