hysteria reporting

>I mean, I think that there is a legitimate question as to how much stress and anxiety is induced in the public due solely to irresponsible reporting, and not just on matters of radioactivity, but also the West Nile Virus, and the proportions of the Anthrax threat.

Arguably it may not have been irresponsible, but media induced panic was the cause of the ONLY deaths related the the TMI incident - several people died in traffic mishaps trying to flee the area. These were real people, not theoretical people. In general, I think this could some day be the basis for a huge class action lawsuit. We have done in the tobacco industry, the fast food industry is currently undergoing "processing", and some day I'm sure that we could conceivably attribute millions of cases of heart disease, high blood pressure, mental illness and cancer to "hysteria reporting" about radiation and other issues (the word "conceivably" being used in exactly the same sense that exposures of uSv of radiation are "conceivably" linked to cancer induction). I want my sack of money now, please.

Mike

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP
Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
Vanderbilt University
1161 21st Avenue South
Nashville, TN 37232-2675
Phone (615) 343-0068