Armor Plate Steel

Colleagues:

The University of California Los Angeles has 200 tons of armor plate steel that would be ideal for cyclotron shielding or other shielding applications.  It is slightly activated with a worst case average of about 1.18 pCi/gm of Co-60.  There are 22 plates and all are 7" in depth.  Lengths range from 21" to 261".  Widths are predominately 53", 65" or 87" with a couple at 92".

Transport poses no radiological issues as the specific activity is below the US DOT definition of radioactive material.  Transport of a few of the pieces would require either an "overload" permit due to weight restrictions, or would need to be cut (plasma torch is the only feasible method to cut this stuff). Individual plate weights range from 3,300 lbs. to 42,000 lbs.

Terms and conditions of transfer are negotiable. However, we have one non-negotiable condition,  the recipient must have a valid US NRC/Agreement State license or a license issued by a competent national authority that allows receipt of this material.  California considers it to be radioactive and therefore we can only transfer it to a licensed entity.

In ten years, the Co-60 should be undetectable.  We used some pretty good NaI and germanium detectors and took core samples to determine the activity. Results of our analysis are available. There are no measurable exposure rate readings (as determined by good uR meters).  In fact, background exposure readings slightly drop as one approaches the steel due to the shielding of terrestrial natural background.

Please contact me directly if you are seriously interested obtaining the steel plates.

Larry Grimm, Senior HP

UCLA EH&S/ Radiation Safety Division

*	lgrimm@admin.ucla.edu   Phone:310/206-0712   Fax: 310/206-9051 Cell: 310/863-5556  Pager:1-800-233-7231ext93569

*	On Campus: 501 Westwood Plaza, 4th Floor, MS 951605

*	Off Campus: UCLA Radiation Safety Div, 501 Westwood Plaza 4th Fl, Box 951605, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1605

*	If this email is not RSD business, the opinions are mine, not UCLA's.