re: irradiated mail

At 05:00 PM 8/28/2002 -0500, Jim Hardeman wrote:

>Based on what I saw about the "irradiation machines", I think you're

>probably looking at electron beams rather than gamma or X-rays. I would

>suspect the reaction of electrons w/ the organic sulfides would be similar

>to that of alphas.

Jim,

A test was run for Media Sciences on CD-Rs by Titan Scan Technologies of

"electron beam radiation of the type used to sterilize U.S. mail does not

impair media interchange. "

Details at http://www.mscience.com/faq29.html

I'm sorry, I can't provide any additional information about dose, etc., as

I don't know.

Cheers,

Richard