Re: irradiated mail

I would think the distribution of dose would be quite different between a beta irradiator and a gamma

device. This is purely intuitive, not based on any personal experience with the processes involved, or

any measurements performed. However, with an electron beam irradiator in order to deliver sufficient dose

to the internals of larger envelopes/packages or a pallet of letters passing thru a machine [since I

think they irradiate bundled material], the surface dose would certainly be far higher that that at the

center. By analogy, I recall seeing test data on the 0.5 mm monel metal encapsulated 50 mg Ra-226

nasopharyngeal irradiator used to treat no fewer than 500,000 young children in the US for enlarged

adenoids acccording to the CDC. This nasal radium irradition [NRI} "treatment"  relied primarily on the

energetic betas exiting the source to shrink adenoids. In this case the surface/contact dose [first mm]

was on the order of 10000 rads while the depth at 1 cm in tissue was on the order of 100 rads [100 times

lower]. This much higher ratio of  surface beta dose in mail irradiation could produce chemical reactions

on any plastic shrink wrap or the plasticizers that might be used in their formulation [??] covering

bundles of mail [or in chemical residues in paper as posited by Ruth]. A gamma irradiator using an

energetic gamma ray would produce much more even dose in delivering any given dose to all parts of a

pallet of mail. Just thoughts to ponder.

Stewart Farber, MSPH

farbersa@optonline.net

=======