Re: SOURCE DESTROYED ACCIDENTALLy AT PARIS AIRPORT

John -

I was not clear in my post, the 5/8" Pb shield is the wall thickness, not

the diameter.  You would probably need a 2" pipe.  This new configuration

would have to be tested and certified as a Type A package.  It would also

add weight and therefore shipping costs.  All these costs would be passed

on by the shipper to the hospitals then to the insurance companies and then

to the patients. I ask, for what real benefit?  Do you feel that the

current A1 and A2 values in 49 CRF 173 and the associated package

specifications are inadequate to protect the public?  There are thousands

of these types of shipments across the country each week, has there been

numerous problems with  these shipments that have gone unnoticed?  The

original article downplayed the resulting contamination from the truck

destroying the package.  The French apparently did not get too excited

about 100 mCi of I-131 dispersed on a jetway.  Should we learn from their

response or should we tell the French how foolish they were for not

declaring an emergency, shutting down the airport and sending dozens of

potentially exposed individuals to the hospital for an immediate exam?

I'm getting off track, whenever anyone ships hazardous materials there is a

risk.  The DOT regulations and the associated packaging criteria are

designed to minimize that risk for the public and emergency responders.  I

personally believe the current requirements are adequate and in some cases

(i.e. C-14, H-3) too conservative.

Have a good weekend!

Mike Vala