Re: variations in background

Mike,

I'm just a hobbiest in this, but at my office on the 10th floor in

Glendale, California I measured approx 75mR/y. At my home (also in

Glendale, CA), the worst I've seen is about 125mR/y. I live very near (cut

into, actually) decomposed granite.

I've measured 125µR/h at cruise altitude between New York and Chicago.

I know this is not what you're looking for, but I thought a spot

measurement somewhat lower than your average might be of use.

I've also logged (using 15-minute averages) a long driving trip up I-15

through Glacier National Park to Winnipeg, down through Yellowstone and

back and, on average, almost no 15 minute periods exceeded 12µR/h. These

were better shielded in the center console of my Suburban, however.

I did note 24µR/h on the lip of the Berkeley Pit in Butte, MT.

The Canadian Prairies were uniformly measuring 9µR/h.

A recent trip to Cambria, California had similar results.

A colleague of mine started me on this quest when I showed him the route I

was driving up through MT and ID and he said, "I wouldn't drive this route

without a Geiger counter". Well, I did drive it with a Geiger counter and

now feel much better about the "scare" stories out there.

Cheers,

Richard