Re: GAO Opens DB Investigation]

You raise three major threads, to which I'll respond separately.

(1)  Where is DOE today?  - I'll present an example I'm familiar with:  the High Flux Beam Reactor, at Brookhaven National Laboratory.  Consider General Accounting Office Report GAO/RCED-98-26, "Department of Energy - Information on the Tritium Leak and Contractor Dismissal at Brookhaven National Laboratory."  Here are a few excerpts:  "Because Brookhaven employees did nto aggressively monitor its reactor's spent-fuel pool for leaks, years passed before tritium contamination was discovered in the aquifer near the spent-fuel pool ... Although the tritium poses little threat to the public, Brookhaven's delay in installing the monitoring wells raised serious concerns in the Long Island community about (1) the laboratory's ability to take seriously its responsibilities for the environment and for human health and safety and (2) DOE's competence as an overseer of the laboratory's activities."    Although you may think that, "their safety practices  are perfectly fine...",  this resulted in  the shutdown of the High Flux Beam Reactor.  Was the safety program for the HFBR "good enough?"  Not if it wanted to keep running.  If you don't believe that "perception is reality," I assure you that it's real enough for the employees who were laid off and the researchers whose projects were cancelled.

(2) "If regulations aren't good enough, why aren't they?"  I hope that there aren't any regulatory agencies out there who take that seriously.  If so, the response would be, "Make my day!" Regulations that are "good enough" follow when the regulated community does not pursue excellence on its own.  This is what's happened with the EPA, in RCRA and CERCLA.  Here's one example.  EPA is concerned about the long term storage of hazardous waste.  There have been situations where unscrupulous companies stored waste and then abandoned the facility, forcing the public to pay for cleanup.  As a result, there are strict time limits on hazardous waste storage, for example, 90 days for "large quantity generators."  If you exceed that, here are a few of the things that can happen:  (1) You are subject to a fine of $25K/day.  This is for an inadvertent violation.  If it can be shown as "willful," you are subject to criminal penalties.  (2) The EPA can consider your facility to be an unpermitted storage facility, and, hence, subject the requirement for a "closure" plan, which can cost $ millions.  Is storing waste for 91 days a threat to pubic health and safety?  Probably not, but many waste generators decided to follow the regulations and nothing more. EPA obliged, and made the regulations "good enough."  I hope that the NRC is never forced to make its regulations "good enough."

3.  "What is good enough?"  I'll admit that this is a tough one.  Two points,  however:  (a) If you can do better, you're not "good enough."  (b) If we don't define, "good enough," ourselves, the regulators will do it for us; probably by shutting us down.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.
Curies forever.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com