RE: Ed Calabrese and Linda Baldwin again

Jim,

Actually I do since I read the paper.  In case you haven't, I can send a pdf

file to you or others on this list who are interested in researching this

topic.

While it does lay out the argument that hormesis should be "new" host

factor, I think that it does not make the case for its use in setting

standards.  My belief is that protection standards should be set to protect

all exposed, not just those with the least sensitive to the toxin.  There

are obvious wide variation in responses.  For example the study of six

cancer breast cell lines clearly shows a hormetic response in three lines,

but not the others, as shown in Figure 10.  If you would set a limit of 0.2

mg/ml of suramin as a limit, the MCF-7 and Evas-T cell lines are really hit

hard by the exposure.  I think that the dose response vs. age of rats in

Figure 6 for GABA and even the x-ray exposure responses in Figures 7 and 8

are important for public standards.  When you are controlling the risk of

workers, you have the advantage of actually monitor their health through

employer mandated physical exams.  However, for the general population,

children may be a greater risk.  (Of course, this was obvious in the cases

of thyroid cancers among children after Chernobyl.

While hormesis can be demonstrated, I question its use as a factor in making

public health decisions.

Again, thanks for pointing our this article.

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist

3050 Traymore Lane