RE: TFP update article, E Magazine

Dear Dr. Somerville,

If I may play devil's advocate here:

>Mark O. Somerville Ph.D.

>Certified Health Physicist

>Registered Environmental Assessor

>Diablo Canyon Power Plant

One might say that you are not a disinterested party. Mr. Cohen is not a

disinterested party as he has significant involvement in the Unplug Salem

campaign and any bad press for a nuclear facility helps support his cause.

How do I as a lay person determine the truth of the matter?

We have all heard the old saying, that there are lies, damn lies, and

statistics. And that, of course, can point to either side. The old saying

doesn't favor one side or the other. In fact, we're seeing in the case of

the Swedish Cell Phone study both sides claiming it as theirs.

I am sure that both you and Mr. Cohen are honest and sincere people. How do

I make a decision and what information do I base it on?

What is the source of this 75% increase number? Obviously, each new press

report can quote an erroneous previous press report. This is the danger of

repeating an error (or a lie) often enough--it becomes perceived as the truth.

I'm actually considering retiring to Cambria in 15+ years, so this is of

more than an idle intellectual curiosity for me.

As I said, my informal, inaccurate, and uncertifiable anecdotal survey

makes me less worried about the current environmental effects of Diablo Canyon.

A 75% increase in serious childhood diseases is pretty scary. That sounds

like almost double to someone reading this! But, since my survey

contradicts that claim and supports your claim, I tend to believe your

comment that the figure is incorrect.

Thanks for providing more information!

Cheers,

Richard