Radioactive vinegar bottle ?!?!

Greetings Radsafers,
        While clearing up some old broken glass I uncovered an unusual white-glass souvenir bottle from the 1939 World's Fair,  which I have come to find out was originally filled with vinegar and sold by the A&P  company ( foodstore).
Just by chance I happened to wave a survey meter at this bottle, and to my surprise it was slightly  radioactive- approximately .2 mR/hr with a Victoreen Ion Chamber.    I'd assume this manufactured this way intentionally  ( maybe?)-- any idea why?    Glazing?  ( ala  Fiesta ware?)
I tried to take a spectrum ( EDS from about 3 keV to about 20 keV) but couldn't see anything.  Maybe a beta emmitter?
A couple sheets of paper don't seem to stop it, so I suspect no alphas are present.

I found one  pictured on EBay ( of course) for anyone who might be curious.  ( no, it's not mine!)

Thanks,
        Bob Westerdale
        RSO,  EDAX Inc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=713600431