From: Susan L Gawarecki [mailto:loc@icx.net]

Sent: Monday, September 16, 2002 12:49 PM

To: RADSAFE

Subject: Re: Ship detained for radiation

Speaking for myself, this may well have been an overreaction due to the

coincidence with the anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks; however, I am

mightily impressed that our government can detect such low-level

radiation in shipping containers.  This should give an increased comfort

level to the US populace as well as put potential nuclear terrorists on

alert that the US is up to the task of identifying suspect ships and

finding nuclear materials.

I know we are not 100% perfect, but this is still a great demonstration

of our country's capabilities in this area.

--Susan Gawarecki

--

Susan L. Gawarecki, Ph.D., Executive Director

Oak Ridge Reservation Local Oversight Committee

102 Robertsville Road, Suite B, Oak Ridge, TN 37830

Toll free 888-770-3073 ~ www.local-oversight.org