AW: equipment, sources, and shielding donations sought

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

[mailto:owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu]Im Auftrag von KJ Kearfott

Gesendet: Dienstag, 17. September 2002 18:41

An: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Cc: kjkrs@HOTMAIL.COM

Betreff: equipment, sources, and shielding donations sought

Dear friends,

I am currently seeking donations of equipment, sources, and shields for a

new applied radiation measurements laboratory in support of our new graduate

option in Radiation safety, Environmental sciences and Medical physics

(REM). Folks donating may be eligible for tax deductions (University of

Michigan will document donations) depending upon their tax status.

The list below is not intended to be exhausted, so if you have something you

want to get rid of, please let me know.

The best way of contacting me is at kearfott@umich.edu

Thanks in advance for your consideration!

Kim,

I am really impressed by your list of what you want to be donated. Having

run a kind of governmental reference laboratory in Austria I have some idea,

what all this would cost - it must be tens of millions of US$. Has the

equipment to be brand new or may it have been used for a few measurements

already? Has the donator to cover the shipping costs for tons of equipment?

I have some problems with a lot of equipment on your list, why this should

be needed for  student education, for instance gross alpha- and beta-

measurement equipment. It rather seems that you want to enter into big

business, because no students can run all the equipment, you need

professionals. Do you have them? I guess about twenty professionals would be

needed. Do you expect donations for their salary as well?

What kind of graduate education is this, if you do not have any instruments,

no sources, no equipment?????

I assure you, that this is the most impertinent mail I ever read on RADSAFE

and is in line with the stories I have heard about you.

Dr. Franz Schoenhofer

Federal Ministry for Environment

Radiation Protection Department

Vienna, AUSTRIA