Radon-Stirring the Pot

Radsafers,

Maybe someone(s) out there could answer a few questions for me.

Two days ago, I heard on the radio a "public service" ad. regarding radon

that stated that "radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the

United States."  That statement (unattributed) puzzled me.  Curiously, the

next day, I happened to be at a safety-related exposition, and picked up

some literature from a booth that dealt with radon in homes.  Interestingly,

the same claim of radon being the "second leading cause of lung cancer" was

made (again without attribution) in a handout, ostensibly from the State of

Tennessee.

In addition, I picked up a glossy little comic book called "Radon Ranger"

published by "Monty Holmes"/Radon Ranger Publications in Salida, CO.  In it

he claims: radon "causes more deaths per year than fires", and: "radon

causes thousands of cancer deaths in the U.S. each year" (my emphasis).

My questions:

1. Where did the claim that radon is the "second leading cause of lung

cancer in the United States" originate?

2. How is this claim experimentally substantiated?

3. Has this claim been proven via epidemiological studies (vs. ecological)?

(Warning: Since I'm "not an epidemiologist" I may be revealing my profound

ignorance.)

4. Who is "Monty Holmes" (Radon Ranger) and what's his stake/authority in

all this?

Thanks.

Bates Estabrooks

BWXT Y-12