Re: Radon-Stirring the Pot

Bates Estabrooks wrote:

"My questions:

1. Where did the claim that radon is the "second leading cause of lung

cancer in the United States" originate?

2. How is this claim experimentally substantiated?

3. Has this claim been proven via epidemiological studies (vs.

ecological)?

(Warning: Since I'm "not an epidemiologist" I may be revealing my

profound

ignorance.)

4. Who is "Monty Holmes" (Radon Ranger) and what's his stake/authority

in

all this?"

In response:

1. USEPA with the backing of the Surgeon General.  The first time I

heard it, I believe, was 1986.

2. Various studies from around the world (see BIER IV for starters,

look for information on studies thereafter and  pro and con arguments in

Radsafe archive).

3. It depends on what you consider to be an epidemiological study vs.

an ecological study.  See Radsafe archive for arguments pro and con ad

infinitum by epidemilogists and non-epidemiologists on this issue.

4. Don't know him... but I live in New Jersey, not Tennessee.  From

your description I would speculate that he is a PR gimmick for either a

radon program or business interest.

Recommendation:  Read as much as you can about the issues involved and

determine for yourself what science based approach best serves the

public health.  Voice your opinions here... preferably without

denigrating other list readers who don't share your best judgment.

Gerald Nicholls

Gerald.Nicholls@dep.state.nj.us

Bates Estabrooks

BWXT Y-12

9983-FS

P.O. Box 2009

Oak Ridge, TN 37831

865-574-7376

865-241-5780 (Facsimile)

ihk@y12.doe.gov <mailto:ihk@y12.doe.gov>

radsafe" (no quote marks) in the body of the e-mail, with no subject

line.