RE: Publix supermarket to sell irradiated beef and chicken

This article in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution is accompanied by a poll on

your preferences for irradiated food. Currently the "No way" group is

leading (hint hint). A few thousand votes the other way might be helpful. .

. . There's also an easily accessible Letters to the Editor page. My

comments to them were:

"Irradiated food isn't accepted because it isn't widely available. In

Chicago, for over 10 years, consumers have clearly demonstrated a preference

for irradiated produce when placed side-by-side with non-irradiated produce

because it stays fresh longer. Worldwide, we lose one-third of our harvest

because of spoilage. Ten or twenty cents per pound extra is a small price to

pay compared to the cost of illness or death from bacteria, not to mention

the savings that would result from less spoilage loss. People's "concerns"

over irradiation are just rehashed theories that were disproved in the

1930's. Are we really so backward that we have to revisit every scientific

conclusion to adjust its results by a few decimal points?"

Jack Earley

Radiological Engineer