Re: Radon-Stirring the Pot

Vincent,

I think it is important to consider whether the exposure

is low versus high LET and what tissues we are talking

about when making assumptions about the LNTT.  One can

not generalize about dose response for all types of

radiation.  I personally question linearity for gamma

and x-ray, but for alpha decay and lung tissue I am

fairly convinced it is linear from the radon studies.

The miner data showed a linear response down into the

ranges found for many homeowners so it is not a stretch

to assume linearity for radon.  In fact, they found an

inverted convex dose response curve that became linear

only when the inverse dose rate effect was adjusted for.

Nonetheless, the residential radon studies do not have

to rely on any LNT extrapolations since they directly

examine the risk.

Bill Field

bill-field@uiowa.edu