I haven't read the full article yet (I've been waiting for somebody to violate copyright and post it, but so far, no takers) so I guess I'll have to go out and buy the magazine.

Jim
Jim_Hardeman@dnr.state.ga.us

>>> "Ted Rockwell" <tedrock@cpcug.org> 9/23/2002 16:09:59 >>>
Jim:

Referring to your msg: no argument.  My definition of a serious public health hazard is a situation in which large numbers of people are apt to get significantly more than the 25rem "tolerable" dose.  If they can be easily moved out to a lower dose area, of course they should be.  And I consider that a very conservative criterion.  In another [non-nuclear] situation, a number of people might get concussions and broken limbs, and these would be characterized as "minor injuries."

The context for a terrorist situation is a large number of prompt deaths or debilitating injuries.  There are literally thousands of ways a terrorist could achieve that result, without having to crack a tightly guarded nuclear facility.  We maintain that nuclear facilities look good, judged in that context.

Ted Rockwell

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu [mailto:owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu]On Behalf Of Jim Hardeman
Sent: Monday, September 23, 2002 2:54 PM
To: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu
Subject: RE: AJC Article: Nuclear plants can withstand attacks

Ted -

I don't know your definition of "tolerable" (maybe you're talking about NRC's siting rules) but given current federal emergency response guidance, a responsible state radiological official would be hard pressed NOT to recommend that individuals in the vicinity of a ruptured spent fuel cask be evacuated (or at a minimum, sheltered in place) given your estimate of a 1 rem dose, unless there were "extenuating circumstances" such as an ice storm, a hurricane, etc. which would make evacuation more hazardous in and by itself.

My $0.02 worth ...

Jim Hardeman

As to what can be released from a ruptured shipping cask, I thought we agreed on the last go-around that the noble gases are not a serious health hazard and that we should not assume that all non-volatile activity is in highly respirable form.  In this case, I recall that the total dose to the most exposed person was about 1 rem. Do I remember that wrong?  If it's less than 25 rem, then it's still a tolerable emergency dose under today's rules, is it not?  And we should not predict any deaths in that situation.That's all we intended by our statement.