AW: Martin D. Kamen remembrance

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

[mailto:owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu]Im Auftrag von Susan L

Gawarecki

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 25. September 2002 00:30

An: RADSAFE

Betreff: Martin D. Kamen remembrance

>From Dick Smyser's column in the Tuesday, September 24, 2002, Oak Ridger:

http://www.oakridger.com/

The death of Martin D. Kamen, one of the scientists who in 1940

identified radioactive carbon 14, key discovery for biochemistry and

archaeology, is detailed in an obituary by Kenneth Chang in the Sept. 5

New York Times. Kamen, though in the early years of the Manhattan

Project chiefly at University of California at Berkeley, worked also at

Oak Ridge National Laboratory for a period.

I have followed for almost decades the fates of scientists who worked for

the Manhattan Project and who did discover other very important links to

both application of radionuclides and radiation protection.

It seems, that most of the scientists who contributed to the development of

the Nuclear Bombs had not only problems in their future career, but even

during everyday life. It would be nice, if we never had to address the

threats of nuclear explosions again.

Franz