Blue light emission from certain envelopes

Hallo all Radsafers,

I wonder if anyone knows what the physico-chemical reaction is which causes

the blue light when one opens certain envelopes with a self-adhesive

gluelike substance. I was asked this the other day by some layperson -

whether this radiation was dangerous or not and just answered that since it

is visible light it could most probably not do anything bad to you.

Nevertheless, it is unsatisfying not being able to give a more exact answer.

I tried to find some info on the Internet without success. Any comments that

sheds "light" upon the mechanisms are welcome. If longer responses - please

write me directly since this hardly can be a radiation problem.

Bjorn Cedervall    bcradsafers@hotmail.com

http://www.hotmail.com