K-19, The Widowmaker

I saw the movie: K-19 The Widowmaker, tonight. In earlier Radsafe posts,

there seemed to remain some questions about the depiction of the Russian

crewmembers. I thought the movie was very well done and the depiction of

the crew seemed entirely in good taste. There were a couple instances of

individuals incapacitated by fear, but these seemed entirely consistent

with the dire circumstances of the the chain of events. There were many

instances of individuals who in volunteering to attempt reactor repairs

knowingly gave their lives for the rest of the crew, the ship, and their

nation. I think about seven died of radiation within days of the

incident and over twenty more died from radiation over the longer pull.

In general, I think there was nothing demeaning about the depiction of

the Russian crew. I was deeply moved by the story.

The subtitle: The Widowmaker, was acquired as a result of workers who

were killed while the K-19 was under construction -- it did not refer to

survivors of crewmembers who perished.

Sincerely,

Maury Siskel       maury@webtexas.com