Re: "Tritium on Ice"

Although tritium is one of the more innocuous radionuclides, the downside is

that it's virtually impossible to contain.  It will diffuse through virtually

anything.  Respiratory protection is useless, since it's absorbed through the

skin.

If we ever build facilities that generate large quantities of tritium, such as

fusion reactors, the impact of tritium releases will have to be further

evaluated.  There may be previously unidentified critical exposure groups.  One

potential group that comes to mind is an unborn female child, during the period

of egg formation, when the tritium could be incorporated into virtually all of

that person's germ cells.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Curies forever.

Bill Lipton