"Limit to Survival - Effect of Radiation

Pertinent to radiation safety (topic) is, A, how  prove increased longevity,

then, B, how implement supplemental radiation in apparently deficient areas

like the Gulf sates - as proposed by Cameron in Is Radiation an Essential

Trace Energy? http://www.aps.org/units/fps/oct01/a5oct01.html.

My experience as a personal physician and amateur social anthropologist would

seem to contradict Peter Parson's premise that, "In modern human populations,

selection for stress resistance is less intense than in earlier times."

(below)

Natural selection is by mortality rates. Persistent "stress", via adrenalin

(fight or flight from anger or fear) 1, shortens clotting time (as in coronary

thrombosis - myocardial infarct or cerebral thrombosis - stroke), 2,

stimulates arrythmias (400,000 USA deaths yearly, about same as total cancer

deaths) and 3, may constrict normal coronaries (voodoo effect). "In earlier

times" there were no lights at night, no watches for time consciousness, no

radio, TV, ads, driving, etc to give such persisting attentiveness, tension

and stress as we have now. My most frquenly prescribed medication is an

adrenalin blocker and decades ago it was tranquilizers.

These changed causes of death may benefit from radiation hormesis by impoved

ciculation. That lessened (0.76)  death rate of 28,872 nuclear shipyard

workers exposed to 0.5 cSv extra (about the better longevity of mountain state

residents) compared with 32,510 coworkers not exposed, suggests a deficiency

disease. A mechanism is suggested by the better healing of gangrene and

bursitis with 75 cSv doses of  X-ray in the 1930s, before antibiotics and

cortisone. Radiation gives blood vessel dilation with better oxygenation and

nutrition of the tissues. Stress and adrenalin have the opposite effect -

constriction of skin circulation.

For longevity, we should prove with placebo controlled, double blind studies,

whether fewer cancers and heart atacks, lower c-reactive protein and better

longevity does come with supplemental radiation.

Howard Long