AW: "Tritium on Ice"

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu [mailto:owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu]Im Auftrag von RuthWeiner@AOL.COM
Gesendet: Dienstag, 01. Oktober 2002 17:55
An: idias@interchange.ubc.ca; liptonw@DTEENERGY.COM; jjcohen@PRODIGY.NET
Cc: rewild@ATTGLOBAL.NET; radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu; Know_Nukes@yahoogroups.com
Betreff: Re: "Tritium on Ice"

Now I am totally confused.  We have been exposed to tritium (as tritiated water) from atmospheric fallout since the mid-1950s.  Since tritium has a 12-year half-life, most of the somatic effects would have been seen by 1990 and any genetic effects would have shown up in those born between 1960 or so and 1990.  Has anyone observed any of these in, for example, a population exposed to surface water that would contain fallout tritium as compared to a population drinking well water that would contain much less or none?
Tritium in precipitation during the late fifties and earlie sixties had a concentration with really impressive numbers, but in terms of dose it was to be neglected because of the very weak beta-emission. Tritium in precipitation showed and still shows a very typical yearly pattern: A maximum in early summer, a minimum in winter. This is because of meteorological conditions when air masses mix and HTO is transported from the upper stratosphere to the earths surface. Tritium has been stored in glaciers, from where it is gradually released, though much of it has decayed already. It shows up in ground water and its concentration has been used successfully in hydrogeology. A population exposed to surface water during the late fifties and up to about 1975 would have received a much greater dose from fission products, so a comparison with respect to tritium in different water sources is not possible.
It seems to me that the primary pathway for tritium to enter the human body is via water, and since all cells require water, tritiated water would not concentrate in any organ.  I would be most concentrated in the digestive tract (when you drink it), and carcinogenic effect would be reflected in cancers of the digestive tract.

 Tritiated water is distributed very fast in the body - after I attached a tritium watch on my wrist I could measure huge amounts of tritium in my urine within one hour. So there cannot be a concentration effect in the digestive tract and no chance to find any effects at concentrations abundant in the environment.
When I searched literature when doing my above mentioned experiment to study the transfer of tritium from watches with tritium-dials into the body I found one hint that a person had died through overexposure to tritium - but I could not find any literature on such a case. Does there anybody know about it?
Best regards,
 Franz